XAT 2018: Exam Day Tips and Things You Need to Know
Xavier Aptitude Test (XAT) will be conducted by XLRI Jamshedpur and is scheduled to be held on the 7th of January, 2018. XLRI Jamshedpur, the flagship institute of Xavier Management institutes conducts this exam every year on the behalf of Xavier Association of Management Institutes (XAMI). For the first time in the history of the XAT, the exam will be an online computer based test, which will be held in a single session, from 10 AM to 01:35 PM. Another notable change is that, the XAT question paper will see a couple of modifications. In keeping with the trend that has been observed since the last 3-4 years, the time limit has been increased, and the number of questions has been reduced. The exam is divided into two parts. The first part consists of three sections namely; Verbal ability & Logical reasoning, Decision making, and Quantitative ability & Data interpretation. The second part is constituted of two sections in which candidates are asked to write an essay on a given topic, while the other section is a General Awareness test.
Part 1: Time to solve - 170 minutes
|Section||No. of Questions|
|Total Questions: 72||Verbal and logical ability||24|
|Quantitative ability & Data interpretation||27|
First three sections, i.e. Verbal ability & Logical reasoning, Decision making, and Quantitative ability & Data interpretation, should be completed in 170 minutes, ideally.
Part 2: Time to solve - 35 minutes
|Section||No. of Questions|
|Essay writing||1 topic|
General awareness should take 10 minutes ideally, while the rest should be devoted to writing the essay.
Also Read: XAT 2018 Preparation Tips
Things You Need to Know
- The total duration of XAT is 215 minutes. You have to complete the first three sections as well as the essay writing, and General Awareness questions within the stipulated time.
- A break of 5 minutes will be allowed between Part I and Part II.
- Short listing of candidates for the GD and PI round will be done on the basis of how the candidates perform in the first three sections. The second section though not accounted for determining the percentile score, is equally important.
- All questions in the three sections of the first part have a uniform marking pattern, with a maximum of 1 mark being awarded to each correct answer. For each incorrect answer one-fourth of a mark will be subtracted. Similarly for an unattempted question, 0.05 marks will be subtracted. The subtraction however, will come into effect only when more than 12 questions are unanswered, which is when the negative marking will be applicable.
- The time allowed for attempting Part I will be 170 minutes, while the time duration to attempt Part II will be 35 minutes. For the second part of the test that comprises of General Awareness, and Essay writing, candidates are expected to complete the General Awareness section within the first 10 minutes, with the remaining 25 minutes to be dedicated to essay writing.
- The marks scored in the General Awareness section will be taken into consideration only during the final selection, and not while short listing candidates for GD & PI.
- The number of questions in each section of the XAT is subject to change. If the trends of the previous few years were to be followed, the exam could an alteration in the number of questions in each section. That being said, XLRI does not intend to increase the number of questions in XAT 2018, and the number of questions may be further reduced from the existing 72.
- The official answer key of XAT 2018 will be released this month itself, i.e. January 2018, by XLRI Jamshedpur. XAT 2018 score and percentile can be calculated with the help of this answer key. The question paper with its explanation will also be released along with the answer key.
Also Read: XAT 2017 Prep Books
Exam Day Do's and Don't(s)
- No black or blue ballpoint pen will be allowed to mark with on the answer sheet.
- No clarification to be taken from the XAT 2018 invigilator regarding anything in the XAT booklet.
- Test Booklet margin to be used for rough work and not any other piece of paper.
Another important thing to note is that the last day for download of admit cards is the day of the exam itself. Students are advised to follow all the rules mentioned in the admit card to a T. Candidates found breaching the rules are liable to get expelled from the examination. Take the exam to the best of your abilities while keeping the above mentioned things in mind to get the most out of XAT.