National Overseas Scholarship For Students With Disabilities
Over the past few years, it has become increasingly easier for Indian students to pursue higher studies abroad. Their endeavors are helped by the numerous scholarships available to them. Till now, however, there were no scholarships to study abroad specifically meant for students with disabilities.
The National Overseas Scholarships to study Abroad for Disabled Students:
Therefore, in 2014, the government via the Central Sector has introduced the National Overseas Scholarships to study abroad (master's and Ph.D) for students with disabilities, in the following areas of studies:
Name of Field of Study
2.Industrial Environmental Engineering
9.Automation Robotics in including
12.Low Temperature Thermal Dynamics
13.Dock and Harbor Engineering
14.Imaging System Technology
15.Composite Materials Engineering
including Decentralised Power
Distribution(for Solar Heat) system, Energy Storage Engineering, Energy Conservation, Energy Efficient Habitat Engineering
18.Information Technology including
Computer Engineering, Software, Software Quality Assurance, Networking/Connectivity Engineering,
Communication System under Hazardous or Post- disaster conditions, Multi-media Communication
20. Industrial Safety Engineering
24. Reproductive health
26. Nuclear Medicine
1.Agriculture and Agro Technology
4.Floriculture & Landscaping
5.Food Sciences & Technology
6.Forestry & Natural Resources
9.Farm Power & Machinery
12.Soils & Water Management
13.Plant Breeding & Genetics
14.Small-scale Rural Technology
Humanities and Social Science
4. Journalism & Mass Communication
Pure Science/ Applied Science
1. Ocean and Atmospheric Science
3. Molecular Biology
2. Development Finance
- Students with disabilities below 35 years of age securing 55% marks and above in bachelor's degree/ master's degree within parental annual income of Rs.6,00,000/-per annum are eligible to apply.
- The scholarship is effective from 1st April, 2014. Also, only two children from the same family will be eligible for the scholarship.
There are 20 scholarships available per year (6 scholarships reserved for women) meant for students wanting to pursue Master's and Ph.D abroad. The annual maintenance and contingency allowance for candidates going to the US and other countries is 15,400 USD and 1,500 USD respectively. The annual maintenance and contingency allowance for candidates going to the UK is GBP 9,900 and GBP 1,100 respectively. Financial assistance will be provided till the course is completed or till the following period (whichever is earlier):
- PhD - 4 years
- Masters Degree - 3 years
- Candidates may apply for two types of grants a) scholarships and b) passage grants.
- They will need to download the form from (www.socialjustice.nic.in) and submit it to the Under Secretary, DD-IV-B Section, Department of Disability Affairs, M/o SJ&E, Govt. of India, PDUIPH, 4, Vishnu Digambar Marg, New Delhi - 110 002 within one month of the publication of the advertisement for the scholarship.
- Students will also need to submit a number of additional documents to validate their application form particulars the details of which can be found in the application form itself.
The last date for application is 30th September 2017.
Officer to be contacted:
Shri J. P. Dutt, Deputy Secretary (Cdn.),
Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment,
Room. No. 740, 'A', Wing, Shastri Bhawan,
Dr. Rajendra Prasad Road,New Delhi - 110001 (India)
Email: [email protected]