Scotland's Saltire Scholarships (SSS)
Scotland's Saltire Scholarships (SSS) are one of the most well known scholarships offered by the Scottish government to international students who opt to pursue their higher education at colleges and universities in Scotland. International students preparing to pursue undergraduate, masters or PhD courses from Scotland can apply for the scholarship which grants £2000 to 200 awardees for covering the cost of the tuition fees of one year of full-time study of your chosen course in any of the 19 Scottish universities. Students hailing from the United States of America, Canada, China and India are eligible for the scholarship.
The SSS program was devised with the intent of promoting Scotland's value and presence worldwide as an international centre for learning particularly in the field of sciences. Nevertheless, SSS are available to all international students studying in Scotland. Here is a list of subjects that are covered under the program. Please note that this list is not conclusive and the scholarship awarders might consider applications from students from other fields of study as well.
- Architectural Design
- Urban Design
- Built Environment
Arts and Humanities
|Application Forms Now Available|
Clean and Renewable Energy
- Sustainable Engineering
- Renewable Energy
- Biomass / Bio fuels
- Hydro / Solar / Tidal / Wind power
- Communications, Media and Culture
- New Media Studies
- Computer Games/Computer Arts
- Earth Sciences
- Weather and Climate
- Financial Services
- Asset Management
Music and the Performing Arts
- Theatre / Drama
Physical and Life Sciences
- Animals / Zoology
- Plants / Botany
- Health Sciences
- Bio technology
The closing date for applications is Tuesday, 31 March, 2015 Midnight GMT.
Scotland's Saltire Scholarship is provided to new international students intending to pursue full-time higher education studies in Scotland. All applicants must meet the following criteria to qualify for the scholarships.
- They must have a conditional or unconditional offer of a place at a Scottish university for a course covered by the scholarship.
- They must be permanent residents of Canada, India, USA or the People's Republic of China (Hong Kong also being eligible as it is a Special Administrative Region of China).
- They should also be able to cover all the expenses remaining after the funds awarded by the scholarship.
- All applicants must submit their application forms for the scholarship to their selected institution by the closing date of 31 March 2015.
- They must also not have previously studied for a full undergraduate degree in Scotland.
- They should also not have previously been awarded a Saltire Scholarship.
- Undergraduate, Masters or PhD level studying in science, technology, creative industries, financial services, renewable and clean energy are eligible.
- Only full-time courses delivered at Scottish universities are eligible.
All applications for the scholarship are to be made online at http://www.scotland.org/study-in-scotland/scholarships/saltire-scholarships/application-form/