Shell Junior National Science Scholarship 2013
Shell India has opened registration for its second “Shell Junior National Science Scholars” programme. Implemented by the British Council in India, the programme comprises a one and a half hour exam based scholarship for Class IX and X students in the field of Physics, Chemistry and Mathematics. The test aims at encouraging students of classes 9 & 10 to look at a career in engineering. The National Council of Science Museums is the knowledge partner for the programme.
About 7000 students from more than 250 schools took the Shell Junior National Science Scholars exam in 2012.
Shell is one of the largest and most diversified international investors in India's energy sector among all global integrated oil companies with over US$1 billion invested already. It is the only global major to have a fuel retail license in India.
About the scholarship
- There will be 3 regional winners from each of the examination cities. Each winner will receive a cash award of Rs. 50000 which they can spend on educational purposes.
- There will be 3 national winners (from the 21 regional winners) who will receive an additional cash award of Rs 75000 each.
- The mentor teachers of the 3 national winners will get an opportunity to visit UK for week-long continuing professional development training.
- The mentor teachers of the remaining 18 regional winners will get an opportunity to attend a 3-day science enrichment workshop in India.
Last date for registration: 30 October, 2013
The examination will be held on 8 December, 2013 simultaneously in 7 cities across India—New Delhi, Kolkata, Mumbai, Chennai, Ahmedabad, Bengaluru, and Hyderabad.
The examination will comprise mainly objective type questions on science topics (physics, chemistry, and mathematics) and energy-related issues. Students from classes IX and X are allowed to participate in this all-India science examination. There will be one subjective type question. The answer to the subjective question will serve as a tie-breaker and only be assessed if scores of the winning students stand equal.
- Registration process will be online only.
- Registration can be done only by schools. Students are not allowed to register individually.
- Students currently studying in class IX and X are only allowed to participate.
- A school can register only once and a maximum of 20 students can be nominated from one school.