IELTS VS PTE-Which Is the Best Exam for You
Considering to study abroad or migrating or settling in a foreign country? If yes, you must be aware of the English proficiency tests that are compulsory for international students in order to complete the pre-requisites put forward by the government or university of the country. The tests are mandatory for students who hail from a non-native English speaking country. English proficiency test is basically an examination that proves one’s English listening, writing, speaking and reading skills. It is important to know the basics of English, as it a globally recognised language.
Since international education is very commonly approached, students have to be aware of the tests they have to appear before enrolling or applying in universities. Since, most universities conduct their programs and degrees preferably in English it is necessary to be wholly aware of the basics of the language English. Students can generally choose the English proficiency test depending on the university’s listed requirement. There are various English proficiency tests. Most of the international universities accept either IELTS or TOEFL or PTE tests for their English fluency proof requirement.
IELTS and PTE are two English based exams that are divided into four categories:
Students must score the minimum marks/grade mentioned by the universities in order to be accepted as an applicant. There are various tutoring lectures conducted for helping the students in improving their knowledge and grammatical sense of the language. The advantage of appearing and studying for English proficiency course is that, one not only qualifies for universities abroad but also improves his communicational skills in a language that is spoken in majority in today’s world. The aim and purpose of the test is to prepare and guide students with fluency in the language.
For your better understanding, we are listing down the benefits of IELTS and PTE so that you can choose whichever test suits you the best:
IELTS Exam Details
- IELTS stands for The International English Language Testing System. It is managed by British Council, IDP and was established in the year 1989.
- According to statistics gathered, over 3 million have appeared for the IELTS examination in the year 2017 in 140 countries.
- The IELTS score is valid for 2 years of time. Students can also appear for re-sit exam, if they are not satisfied with the results of their previously appeared test. IELTS exams are conducted four times in a month through-out the year.
- The score band of IELTS ranges from 1-9, 1 measuring non-speaker and 9 measuring fluent speaker.
- The IELTS exam is categorised in two sections, IELTS Academic and IELTS General Training. IELTS Academic is for students who are willing pursue higher education. IELTS General Training is for individuals who are looking to migrate or settle in a foreign country or moving for work related experiences.
- The duration of IELTS examination is 2 hours, 45 minutes
The IELTS is divided into the following sections:
- Listening – 30 minutes (for both)
- Academic Reading – 60 minutes (for IELTS Academic test enrollers)
- General Training Reading – 60 minutes (for IELTS General Training test enrollers)
- Academic Writing – 60 minutes (for IELTS Academic test enrollers)
- General Academic Writing – 60 minutes (for IELTS General Training test enrollers)
- Speaking – 11 to 15 minutes (for both)
IELTS Exam Format
- IELTS tests are conducted in paper-based or computer-based format the reading section is examined by a face-to-face test by a trained IELTS examiner.
- IELTS is accepted in almost all English speaking countries including Australia, United Kingdom, New Zealand and some institutions of United States.
- One will receive their IELTS examination results after 13 days of undertaking the test and can view the IELTS examination results online in 28 days after undertaking the test.
- It is expected that one must at least score 6.0 for English speaking qualification in university acceptance and professional visa acceptance.
*Note: The score may differ from university to university, therefore it is recommended to enquire with the universities.
Read more: IELTS
PTE Exam Details
- PTE stands for Pearson Standard Test. It was launched in the year 2009 by Pearson Language Tests.
- PTE is recognised by 6,000 universities around the world.
- PTE examination is computer based. Students have to appear for the tests at the nearest PTE secure centre that will provide them with computer and headset to listen, read and answer questions.
- The duration of PTE examination is 3 hours. The training under PTE course covers all sorts of accents from different countries for helping the students understand the language with better clearance.
- PTE examination is computer based.
PTE test format is categorised in three parts:
- Speaking and Writing (together, about 77-93 minutes)
- Reading (32 – 41 minutes)
- Listening (45-57 minutes)
PTE Exam Format
- Individuals will receive PTE results within 5 business days making it the fastest English examination results.
- PTE results are valid for 2 years of time.
- PTE tests are considered on both academic and professional grounds and are also accepted for visa reference.
- PTE score is measured on a band from 10-90 points. 10 measuring non-speaker and 90 measuring fluent speaker.
IELTS Vs PTE Comparison Table
IELTS is recognised in over 10,000 universities around the world.
PTE is recognised in over 6,000 universities around the world.
Paper based or Computer based.
Entirely computer based.
Takes 13 days for results and 28 days for online results.
Takes maximum 5 days for results.
The duration of exam is 2 hours 45 minutes
The duration of the exam is 3 hours.
The validity of IELTS exam is 2 years.
The validity of PTE exam is 2 years.
Exams are conducted four times a month.
Exams are conducted over 360 days in a year.
Measured on scale ranging from 0-9
Measured on scaled ranging from 10-90 points.
IELTS or PTE or TOEFL either of these will help you improve your English language skills along with enhancing your capabilities to communicate better in an international country. Learning to speak, write, read and listen in English not only improves your understanding capacity but also will benefit you with encountering variety of experiences by communicating in the language.