Master in Design (MDes)
|Table of Contents|
In the coming years, holding a degree such as a Master’s in Design (MDes) is expected to gain more and more significance. Design is a field of interest that is deemed necessary and valued in almost every field. The importance of designing is defined to be extremely favorable in terms of planning ahead. There are several types of designing, further also designing is categorized in different fields. Designing is a process that helps create something disparate in nature. Designing is a diverse subject, therefore, there are various specified fields in designing that are particularly meant to address the chosen concept. The concept of designing is basically creating something with making use of the unique insight towards specifics in the environment and day to day happenings. Designing is a creative process that requires cognizance of design disciplines and open-mindedness to acquire results by cultivating designs. Masters of Design program is specifically fabricated for studying the principles of design that nurtures an individual’s knowledge regarding designing.
Master of Design Course Overview
- Master of Design (M.Des) is a post-graduation program where individuals can specialize in their area of interest within the realm of designing. There are several categorizations of Masters of Design program individuals have to elect their desired designing course based on which part of designing intrigues them the most
- Through MDes pupils can learn the process, technique and other methods of designing. Master in Design studies is widely taught in universities around the world. Design graduate programs are offered at numerous universities with expertise discernment that is structured to precisely to shape up their design implementation and execution skills
- Individuals who choose MDes as their graduate program aim to have acquired lore regarding their specific field of designing for professional experience
- Masters in Design degree duration is likely to be 1 or 2 years, generally two years.
Scope of Masters in Design
- Apart from Masters in Design (MDes) degree can be procured under the titles of Masters of Arts in Design (MA in Design), Masters of Science in Design (MSc in Design), Masters of Education (M.Ed in Design), Master of Philosophy (M.Phil in Design), Master of Engineering (M.Eng in Design) and Masters of Business Administration (MBA in Design).
- Masters in Design online courses are also offered by many top-ranked universities. Students can also prefer learning the course through attending part-time lectures nevertheless attending full-time lectures is less time consuming and is also beneficial.
A list of popular MDes programs abroad
- Masters in Product Design
- Masters in Graphic Design
- Masters in Interior Design
- Masters in Industrial Design
- Masters in Web Design
- Masters in Fashion Designing
- Masters in Visual Design
- Masters in Global Design
- Masters in Architecture and Urban Design
- Masters of Technology
Masters in Design eligibility criteria
- Bachelors in Arts degree
- English Proficiency Test: IELTS or TOEFL or C1/C2 Advanced (USA) or PTE (UK)
- An undergraduate in design or any other equivalent degree can be followed by an MDes course. This usually depends on the university offering the Masters program
- The postgraduate degree in Design will equip a student to meet societal and cultural needs to create material, media, and designs to elicit a targeted or required response
- Letter of Recommendation (LOR)
Masters in Design Course Structure
- Program Structure for Masters in Design may deviate depending on the choice of specialized degree in designing of an individual. Therefore, it is best to refer to the college/university website after listing the universities one is looking to apply at
- For designing, it is advisable to choose the country you want to pursue an MDes in, based on the specific design course
- However, with our research and data incurred through several sources, we have concluded the following countries are most popular for pursuing post-graduation in designing: The United States of America, the United Kingdom, Australia, New Zealand, Italy, and France
** The above-mentioned countries are elected based on the vast majority of design courses offered and considering which universities offer the most reliable course structure for designing
Masters in Design Course Fees
Education abroad can seem expensive, however, pursuing a degree like a Masters in Design abroad is totally worth it. You can apply for scholarship and even take help of student loans to experience higher education abroad. Here's an overview of the range for Masters in Design tuition fees in the United Kingdom, The United States of America, Sweden, Italy, and France
|COST OF STUDY|
|Country||Tuition Fee (Range)|
|United Kingdom||USD 15,000 - USD 30,240|
|USA||USD 10,000 - USD 25,000|
|Canada||USD 9000 - USD 19,000|
Best Countries for the Masters in Design Program
The United States of America
The United States of America is universally known for its technology design programs. Individuals who are keenly interested in pursuing a degree in technology, web design, and industrial design are most preferred design courses in the country. Fashion designing is also popular in USA however New York City and Los Angeles are the two only preferable destinations for fashion courses. Apprentices will obtain information and skills regarding the design course most likely under MS in Design studies graduate program.
Other popular design courses are offered under MA in Design. Masters in Design in USA focus on fundamental aspects of designing along with reputed professors of the university assigning students with assignments that will help students grasp the dynamics of designing better.USA is also well equipped with job opportunities for design students.
Top agencies and industries offer students the position of design with high salary that will not only upgrade their living in the country but also enlighten their learning experience. However, the accommodation and university tuition fee in this country is not affordable to all.
Top universities in the USA for M.Des:
- IIT Institute of Design (Masters of Design Methods)
- Harvard GSD (M.Eng, Masters in Design Studies)
- Stanford University (M.Eng)
- Parsons School of Design (MA in Fashion Design)
- USC Online and On-Campus
The United Kingdom
Masters in Design in the United Kingdom offers students expert knowledge from reliable universities from the country. Design courses that are specifically preferred in this country are fine arts, product design, service design, architecture, communication, and graphic design. Universities in UK provide students with a vibrant experience along with great exposure in the design field. MDes in UK universities focuses on improving illustrations by promoting students' ability to be creative and assigning them with practical apportionment that specifically charges their capability in designing.
Job opportunities in the field of designing in UK are also high, individuals can experience living in the country by interning at organizations that value design artists. Most universities in the United Kingdom offer Masters of Arts in Design degrees. Students have the probability of earning an abundance of knowledge in the field of Arts. The university fee is also quite cheaper compared to other Arts programs.
Top universities in the UK for M.Des:
- Royal College of Art (MA in Architecture)
- Kingston University (MA in Arts and Design, MA in Product Design, MA in Sustainable Design)
- Goldsmiths University of London (MA in Design)
Universities in Australia are well-acclaimed around the world. International students from different continents choose this country for the experiential knowledge along with quality content that is covered in the institutes of this country. Institutes in Australia for designing are known for their technical design, interior design, architecture, engineering, and creative arts courses. Masters of Design in Australia train students under both theoretical and practical skills. Studying designing in Australia will develop a student’s ability to create impactful design structure that is produced with careful analysis.
The fee aspect in Australia for designing courses is comparatively less to the USA. The eligibility requirement percentage for bachelor’s degree and English proficiency test is also achievable. Assistance in financial aid is also provided by various financial assistance groups.
Top universities in Australia for M.Des:
- The University of Western Australia (Masters in Architecture Design)
- The University of Sydney (Masters in Communication Design)
- The University of Technology, Sydney (Masters in Design)
Sweden is an aesthetically pleasing place for education. The country is not vast with universities however almost all the institutes in this country provide prime content of knowledge. Sweden offers technology, product, and industrial design.
To apply in the universities of Sweden students have to appear for English proficiency tests such as submitting IELTS, TOEFL or PTE score. Tuition fees and accommodation fees in this country is most affordable compared to other mentioned countries. Masters in Design in Sweden is best suitable for students who want to learn the industrial, technological aspects of designing. Most graduate design programs are offered under the title of MSc in Design.
Top universities in Sweden for M.Des:
- Jonkoping University (MSc in Design)
- Lund University (MFA in Design)
- Chalmers University of Technology (MSc in Design)
- KTH Royal Institute of Technology (MSc in Design)
It is a well-established fact that France is the most popular for fashion courses. The country offers best suited for fashion designing programs. Other popular design programs in France are luxury and hospitality programs. Acquiring fashion knowledge from reputed designers around the world and expertise from fashion professors with a wide exposure of experiences prompts this country for fashion designing.
Other courses in designing are also offered here however with the limitation of language preferences it is best that students who have a keen interest in Fashion only apply in the universities of the country.The tuition fee structure in France is also affordable for Indian students. The opportunity of working in worldwide known boutiques is one of the biggest perks of studying in France. Universities in France for designing graduate programs only accept IELTS scores for English proficiency test eligibility criteria. MA in Design, MSc in Design and MBA in Design can opt among the master's program in Fashion.
Top universities in France for M.Des:
- ESMOD France
- Istituto Marangoni
- Strate School of Design
Italy is popular for its architectural designs. Universities in Italy are specifically known for architecture and interior design programs. Other popular design programs include product designing, jewelry designing, and graphic designing. Studying architecture and interior designing in the country that is world-famous for its historical monuments is definitely one of the perks of understanding designing better
The structural ideologies for architecture designing are best presented in the institutes of Italy. The fee structure is comparatively lesser than Australia. As a part of English proficiency test, IELTS or TOEFL scores are accepted in the institutes located in Italy. Most degrees are offered under the title of Master of Science in this country. Public universities in Italy are comparatively cheaper than Private universities.
Top universities in Italy for M.Des:
- POLI. Design (Masters in Product Design)
- Istituto Europeo di Design (MSc in Design)
- Nuova Accademia di Belle Arti Milani (MSc in Design)
Career Prospects after M.Des
- Fashion Stylist
- Fashion Designer
- Interior Designer
- Product Designer
- Apparel Manufacturer
- Quality Control
- Structural Designing
- Graphic Designer
- Textile Production
- Web Designer
The scope after Masters in Design is quite vast individuals can acquire profusion amount of experience from the fields of designing. Students who look forward to better opportunities are highly recommended for pursuing MDes abroad. Studying this course abroad is highly beneficial as the plethora of knowledge and experience acquired will enlighten and provide substantial growth in an individual’s career.